Incenses and aromatics have been used since antique times to facilitate meditation and prayer. They’ve been an integral form of the practice in literally every religion existent, in one or another form.
Indian Americans used a “smudge stick” to purify places or people. In India the essences were poured to the altars or the ground near them. Even now you still can find Frankincense resins burning in churches.
And it’s not just a coincidence. Fragrance helps to open the consciousness, relax the mind and body, clear the head of continuous flow of thoughts, deepen the breath, improve concentration and most importantly it helps to put us in another space where we become more open and receptive to spiritual explorations.
As a great advantage to the past, these days we have the luxury of using pure essential oils which can be available literally in every part of the world. They can be used in different ways, like:
- purifying and preparing the place for meditation practice. Sometimes we may have a lot happening at home, and the energy can be not the ideal for practicing meditation. Different aromas from cooking may be disturbing as well. Or if you’re travelling and staying in the hotel, the whole atmosphere of the place can put you out of concentration, or out of grounding which makes it difficult to meditate.
- helps to set aside intrusive thoughts and daily lists of to-do things
- helps to deepen and slow the breath, increase awareness and receptivity which helps to bring us to the higher consciousness
- brings mental clarity and calms the mind
- helps to balance chakra energies and opens blocked energy
- brings grounding which is very helpful especially when you live in urban city
How to use:
- use essential oils in burners or diffuse in the air
- you can apply a drop of essential oil or blend on your temples or on chakras ( I suggest using a pre-diluted oils if you have sensitive skin or never used it before )
Essential oils for meditation:
- Angelica (Angelica archangelica) helps us to come into a closer contact with the divine energy. It helps to clean the auric field from negative energies. It’s know as a “Herb of the Holy Spirit”, it bring compassion and understanding to our spiritual completion. Angelica is very grounding and protective. It supports Muladhara, Anahata, Ajna and Sahasrara chakras.
- Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica) enhances spirituality and strengthens the connection with the Divine. It helps to develop and maintain the sense of balance and control in our lives. Cedarwood essential oil is very balancing and grounding, helps to clear the mind from excessive thinking and brings understanding from non-emotional standpoint. It supports The Root/Muladhara Chakra.
- Frankincense (Boswelia carterii) is one of the most ancient and commonly used essential oil which is associated with highest spiritual aspiration. It helps to deepen and slow the breathing, helps to bring us to meditative state, increase mental focus. It is…